For several years now, so many that I’ve lost count, I have hosted a weekly homeschool chat on IRC. Every Friday I “meet” other homeschoolers from across the globe and we chat. What do we chat about? The list is endless. Here are just a few topics that we have touched on recently:
- Handwriting skills
- Math curriculums and websites for the elementary aged student
- Changing food diets
- Field trips
- Co-ops, what they are and how to find one
- Finding social avenues for homeschooled teens
- How formal learning should or should not be for Preschool and Kindergarten
- Parenting techniques
- Housecleaning tips
- New pets
- Decluttering ideas
- How to begin homeschooling
- How the weekly chat has helped some members get through the burnout state of mind
- Having a schedule vs. not having a schedule
- Planning for college
- Online virtual schools
As you can see, we do not stick solely to homeschooling topics. As long-time homeschoolers know, almost everything that affects homeschooling also affects our daily lives, and vice versa. So homeschooling becomes life. Maybe I should promote my chat as a “Life Chat” in the future? What do you think?
Our chat members come from the fifty states along with several countries, which is why I call it an “International” homeschool chat. One of our regular chatters is from London and is currently visiting the U.S. with her family. We had fun exchanging ideas of places she and her family should see on their visit.
We meet every Friday, 9 a.m. US/Canada Eastern time, GMT -5. You will find the details for joining on my Homeschool Chat page.
Do join us! We love assisting new homeschoolers and talking life with the long-time homeschoolers!