The LeapingFromTheBox.com Blog is part of the LeapingFromTheBox.com website. If you like what you read here, please click on the links below to visit the LeapingFromTheBox.com website. You will find articles and information on homeschooling, unschooling, and other educational topics (science, math); homeschooling email lists; and a special section of information for Alabama homeschoolers. Enjoy!

LeapingFromTheBox.com website

LeapingFromTheBox.com logo

Home

Homeschool
General
Methods
FAQs
Unschooling
Books
Math
HS Elists

Alabama HS
Church Schools
Support Groups
Co-ops
AL FAQs
Questionnaire

Articles
By Author
By Subject
Homeschooling
Learning Styles
Kindergarten
Kitchen / Cooking / Recipes
Math
Miscellaneous
Personal Thoughts & Reflections
Reading
Science
Unschooling

Resources
By Subject
College
Homeschooling
Math
Science

Field Trips

Leaping Blog

Personal
Musings Blog
Archives
Comments
Job Search

What's New?

Contact Me

Terms of Use

NaNo Creator Interview

One of my favorite blogs lately is Writer Unboxed. Their October 19th entry is Part 1 of an interview of Chris Baty, founding father of NaNo. If you want to know more about how and why he started NaNo, check it out! I particularly love his viewpoint when asked how many people who have participated in NaNo in the past have actually sold their books:

    “I think that nobody has it as bad as aspiring writers. Look at the world of sports. If I went out and played a round of golf, when I came back from it, none of my friends would say, “Oh, you going to join the PGA?” The sense is that you do it for fun and you do it regularly, and it doesn’t have to be something you make your living at. My goal for the last decade has been to make a living as a writer. And I think there are other people in National Novel Writing Month who share that ambition, but I think that represents 10% of the overall population, and the other 90% are doing it for completely different reasons.”

My friend Tammy wrote about the Baty interview on her blog, Just Enough, and Nothing More, “Homeschooling Is Like Music”. Can you tell we’ve been discussing this interview on a list that we’re both on?

1 comment to NaNo Creator Interview

  • Tammy Takahashi

    Thanks for the link Karen!

    I wonder if Chris Baty has any kids. And if he does, if homeschools.

    When I did an interview with Jimmy Wales, founder of wikipedia, last year, I found out he homeschools his daughter. It seems to me, that people who homeschool their kids, often do amazing things themselves. No wonder homeschool kids do so well! They have so many things going for them that we can’t measure on a test.

Leave a Reply

 

 

 

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>